Saturday, February 16, 2013

In Transit on Valentine's Day

Yesteday was my longest February 14 ever. I was set out to fly to Newark at 8:00 AM Manila time, and got to Newark Liberty Airport at 5:45 PM EST which was around 6:45 AM on Feb 15 in Manila. Business trips usually excite me, specially since I get to travel with free lodging and allowance. But come on, Valentine's day?! You see people reunite and say goodbye at airports and it's makes me feel so melancholic I kept on thinking about Jim and yes, cheesy as it may sound, I really miss the bloke.

I flew to Tokyo for a layover then spent a couple of hours in Detroit to get interviewed by US Immigration before finally flying to Newark. I tried to keep busy and take photos now and then so that I can remember some snippets of this journey.

My passport and boarding pass to the Manila - Tokyo leg of my flight

Why wasn't I physically built to become a flight stewardess? That would've been a fun job, right?

Duty Free store at Narita

Airplane food. And no, I didn't enjoy it that much. 


An awesome tunnel at Detroit airport. The walls changed colors while synchronized with ambient music

If not for my wonderful welcoming party in New Jersey, it would've been a depressing day. I'm really thankful that Ate Dawn (Jim's cousin)  and her family were able to pick me up from Newark Liberty Airport and spend time with me even if it's my first time to meet her in person! They were so nice and so accommodating and even treated me to Red Lobster for dinner! I find it so amazing, because we were only friends in Facebook and haven't really had a chance to get to know each other until yesterday. Our dependence on technology can sometimes make things impersonal, but there are times when technology can really bring people together and make them feel more connected. I've never met Ate Dawn, Sal, Saify and Shaad before but it felt like I've known them for ages.
Sal, Shaad and Saify hamming it up at Red Lobster

Group picture yay! :D

Little Shaad sleeping on my hotel bed. SO CUUUUUTE!!


I'm staying at a serviced apartment near the airport which is also strategically located near Jersey Gardens. Waaaaah temptation!! I am so looking forward to go shopping, but I'm also researching on Arts and Crafts stores in this area. Hopefully one weekend I can take a bus to Manhattan and check out all the city action and also meet up with my relatives and friends who are based in NY.

My apartment in New Jersey

Red couch! And I absolutely love that vintage looking car on that overhead shelf.

My bed and my TV.

I feel blessed. I get to travel and meet different sorts of people because of my job as a Systems Analyst. Hopefully tomorrow it won't get too cold, but I heard it's going to snow. I don't mind staying in. I think I could use a good resting day since today has been SO HECTIC, I had to stay online for extended hours and do some important work-related stuff.

It's 2:47 AM here and 3:47 PM in Manila. I hope I can get over this jet lag soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment