Sunday, June 30, 2013

Watercolor Weekend: Bukidnon

Together with my goal to discover more about various Filipino ethnic communities,  I'm starting a series of drawings about Filipino Indigenous people to practice my watercolor portrait skills. Jim and I have been talking about going to different Philippine Festivals and immerse ourselves in some cultural education while we travel. Our bucket list includes the Maskara Festival in Bacolod, Sinulog Festival in Cebu, Higantes Festival in Angono Rizal and Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon among others. 

Kaamulan Festival is an ethnic cultural festival held annually in Malaybalay CityBukidnon from the second half of February to March 10, the anniversary date of the foundation of Bukidnon as a province in 1917. It is held to celebrate the culture and tradition of the seven ethnic tribal groups—Bukidnon, Higaonon, Talaandig, Manobo, Matigsalug, Tigwahanon and Umayamnon—that originally inhabit the province.[1][2] It is the only ethnic festival in the Philippines.[3] Source: Wikipedia.org


I used water color, acrylic and ink for this painting. I started with the background first, then working through the underpainting of the skin and the clothes and finally added details for the head piece and accessories. The reason why I selected different media for this painting is because of acrylic's characteristic to be more opaque. It has been useful for adding the little stitches on the dancer's clothes and the beads of her necklace.

5.5 x 8.5 Inches on Strathmore Paper, 118 g/m

"Bukidnon"
5.5 x 8.5 Inches on Strathmore Paper, 118 g/m

I will be selling this painting soon, and will be available in my newly registered Etsy Shop! 
For the meantime, email me at faye.marcos@gmail.com if you're interested :)


2 comments:

  1. It's my first time here and I'd surely keep coming back. I enjoy your artworks and the way you tell us how you did your artwork, materials you used, etc. I find that especially useful as someone very interested in drawing and art. Congratulations on your Etsy shop! And lots of luck and good vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deswie! Thank you for the kind words! :) Glad you find my entries interesting. Cheers!

      Delete