Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Art Stalking: Molly Hatch Furniture and Ceramic Paintings

So if you're one of the 5 people who read this blog (hi sisters, Jim and Mom!), you've probably read a recent entry about my brand spanking new apartment to be turned over to me within this month. I'm due for final unit viewing next week, before I receive the keys, so I'm absolutely excited about this milestone and the process of buying furniture, decoration and finally moving in. I've been Pinteresting for HOURS for ideas, and I've been going gaga over my awesome discoveries in the cloud.

Today, I discovered ceramicist, printmaker and painter, Molly Hatch and I absolutely covet her work for my apartment!

Just looking at it makes me soooooo happy! It's not even mine! 




These chairs were hand painted based on historical prints for *drumroll please* The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Anthropologie! Can you imagine being in collaboration with THE MET and ANTHROPOLOGIE? Geezus, this lady has mad skills.





Apart from designing and working with furniture, Molly is also known for painting on ceramics. Photos above are the the installations that she made at her solo exhibition last year during London Design Week. I absolutely love the idea of using plates as canvas. And and her use of space is very clever. The ceramics can be used for display as an one unit on the wall, or individually for, well, serving food. But of course, these pieces are not for sale (as if I can afford them), but it's pretty cool that she makes art that's both decorative and practical.





Less colorful, but still equally awesome works from her exhibit Reverie at the Philadelphia Art Alliance in 2013. She is very influenced with history and a lot of her paintings are reminiscent of those 18th century drawings from Europe.

Check out more of her work at her official website and her process at her blog

Photo credit: www.mollyhatch.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment