Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Bunch of Drawings and A Purpose for This Blog

This blog was intended to post some of my artworks, doodles and calligraphy when I'm not actually held up at my 9-5 job. Some people are fortunate to be doing what they are absolutely passionate about, while some of us who were late bloomers and thought were being practical, got into jobs that paid well but isn't really as fulfilling as we would like it to be. Define it as lack of direction or perhaps a juggling act, but as I have mentioned before, while my 2012 was the year of balance, 2013 will be a year of focus.



I was reading through Brainpickings.org one afternoon when I hit a eureka moment. You could call me as a jack of all trades, master of none kinda girl. I love art, music, travel, sports, food, reading and writing. Basically any form of expression draws me in and I want to get into it. I dabble here and there and every year I make resolutions to achieve the goal of getting better at something. Well because I just dabble, I find myself knowing how to do a bit of this and a bit of that, but never reaching a level where I could say I'm REALLY good. And that brings me to my goal this year. Be good at something.

There is this article about How to Find Your Purpose and Do What You Love on Brainpickings and it inspired me to really use this blog to chronicle my true passion: To create. It doesn't matter what other people say or if they believe that I am a "real artist" or not. What matters is that I keep on doing what I am doing and I inspire others with my story and what I am making. So I am making use of this blog to to improve at drawing/illustration/calligraphy, share it and be inspired everyday to make something. Anything, as long as I create.

That brings me to the past few weeks' artsyfarts.

Getting back into using gouache and drawing pretty girls
Inspired by Sugar Lily, our cupcake business.

Another random girl drawing

Patterns patterns patterns

Patterns used for stationery

Patterns used for prayers of gratitude

So I leave you with something that I've read in someone's blog that speaks to me like it was directed at me:

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

— Ira Glass



0 comments:

Post a Comment