Sunday, January 27, 2013

My New Guitar Baby: Daniela

Photo from http://www.dd-customguitars.com

Waaaaah I have a brand new guitar baby!! Ze boyfriend bought a D&D Slim Standard Natural Acoustic Guitar for me yesterday!!! I was overwhelmed despite picking up a hint from him when he was asking me to test it. I had the initial impression that it was really for him coz he keeps on raving about this brand every time we pass by a music store. So even though he just purchased a Fender acoustic guitar late last year, I still thought he was buying the thing for himself. He was telling me about how heavy the fender was; hard case and everything, so I thought he wanted the D&D for mobility. Plus, he's a true certified guitar junkie so the idea of him buying another acoustic didn't seem fishy to me at the time.

When I played the Slim Acoustic for the first time, I was immediately smitten. I was never a good guitar player to begin with, but the sound I made wasn't half bad when I tested it. I love that it has a slim neck and a thin body, coz I haven't developed calloused guitar fingers just yet, and the slim design makes it more playable even by an amateur like me. Gushing at the full bodied sound even when unplugged, I contemplated on buying the same model myself. I have an upcoming gig this Feb at Boho Sarapsody, CubaoX and I'm still practicing songs using my 6-year old Lumanog, Noogie. Noogie's bridge is too high, so after a few songs, my fingers start to hurt already. When we plugged the guitar to an amp and tested the equalizer, I was even more impressed. I told Jim to accompany me by end of Jan so I can buy my own.

My babies Daniela and Noogie side by side.

While Jim was urging me to keep on playing and testing the guitar, I had some sort of a "Teka lang, para sakin ba 'to" moment but I thought maybe he just wanted my opinion. I thought we were there to just get a feel of the instrument, but i was surprised when he said he was going to pay for it already. Huwaw ah, impulse purchase?! While he was making the transaction at the cashier and the sales guy was putting the guitar inside its softcase, Jim asked the brand of strings used for the guitar. Jonathan the sales guy responded, D'adario size 10. My clever boyfriend suddenly said, "O, tandaan mo ha. Size 10. Pwede rin naman size 9 pero mas manipis tunog" or something to that effect.

Thought bubble: Omg. teka, akin ba talaga 'tong binibili niya?! 

I managed to keep it cool and restrain myself from asking him the question as we left Pro Audio Music Store coz I didn't want to assume. Needless to say that i didn't have to, because my super sweet boyfriend suddenly exclaimed "Happy 123!" with a silly sorta gotcha grin on his face. Apparently, this is his belated monthsary gift.

SABI NA EH!!! 

Gosh. a new guitaaaaaaaar! And a D&D at that! Level up sa Lumanog ko! That super made my day, my week, my month and my year so far. Good Lordie, this boy. nakakahaba lang ng hair. :D Been playing the pretty thing all evening, and im so inspired to make music again. 

You can find out more about D&D Guitars here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment