Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Sugar Lily Promo Girl

I can't bake for crap. There, I said it. For someone who has a cupcake business, that's a real shame. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose that's alright coz I contribute to Sugar Lily in a different way. My sister Katrina is our head of Production and Operations since she's our baker and the whole reason why this business came about is because of her gift, while my eldest sister Tetet is the head of Finance since she is the one who handles all the revenue and costs. I suppose you can call me the head of Marketing because even though baking  is not exactly one of my strengths, I try to compensate with branding and promoting  our super yummy and moist cupcakes.

My usual recipe for promotional stuff for Sugar Lily: high res cupcake photo + logo + white border. It's easy. 
Red velvet, anyone?

How about assorted cupcakes?

After our brainstorming-slash-business planning session last month, we came up with the idea of introducing a "special cupcake flavor" every month so that our customers won't get bored with the usual flavors (red velvet, chocolate, carrot, vanilla and banana chocolate chip). For this month, my sisters and I decided to include Strawberry Cupcakes in our menu. It's perfectly apt for Valentine Season since strawberries are in season in February and we can make the cupcakes pink or red (cliche, I know, but can you blame us? :p). In coming up with promo material, I decided to have a different approach in promoting the Sugar Lily Cupcake of The Month. I wanted it to be special and more creative so I decided that instead of using colors, I will make illustrations.

A love story made in the kitchen. Landian mode si Mister Strawberry at si Sugar Lily Cupcake!

I used watercolor for this illustration, and utilized watercolor pencil for my underpainting (a really awesome technique, since my old watercolor drawings had traces of pencil on them)! I'm enjoying this process and it gives me a chance to think more creatively since it requires me to come up with a concept and idea for the image. It's a continuous project, so it's like a monthly mandatory creativity exercise. By the end of 2013, I'll be able to come up with 11 promo material for Sugar Lily and 11 illustrations to add to my portfolio! Yay!

Sugar Lily Cupcakes and Pastries does delivery and meetups in B.F. Homes Paranaque and Alabang Town Center on weekends and Taguig on weekdays. Like us on Facebook and check out our menu here

0 comments:

Post a Comment