Sunday, February 03, 2013

Call This Rubber Stamping Advanced Studies

Next week, I'll be joining the Rubber Stamping Crafternoon Session at Fully Booked with Alessa Lanot. I signed up last month and got a slot and I've been looking forward to February 10 ever since. It says in Alessa's blog that materials will be provided, but I just couldn't help myself with my excitement and bought my own materials at National Bookstore anyway. I bought a cutting mat, wood carving tools, erasers and stamp pad last week just to get a feel of what it's like to carve erasers for my custom stamps. Call me an eager beaver student, pero excited talaga ako eh! I'm just doing my advanced studies for my rubber stamping class!

Noobie tools for a noobie crafter, but I am giddy with happiness after making these stamps!

My very first DIY stamp was that yellow one. I tried to make a branch with leaves, but I didn't apply a  cutting technique that I learned later on, so the edges were very coarse and less refined. For smoother edges,  it's good to use an exacto knife/cutter and trace the edges of the stamp template for easier carving later on. 

My "kinayod ng manok" first attempt

Second try, a tulip and a chevron pattern

I have yet to learn the stamping technique to make it look seamless and continuous. It takes practice to carve a stamp, but it requires an equal amount of practice for using it too.

Even if I have one foot inside the door of the DIY rubberstamping world, I'm still excited to learn from the experts and my fellow classmates at the workshop. Maybe I can make a star stamp like the one that students get in pre-school for a job well done. I've been doing my homework, after all. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have been trying to look for these wood carving tools for the longest time now, didn't know NBS had them. How much were you able to buy them?

    Also, would you recommend the speedball over these for beginners? Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I got the wood carving set for 150 pesos at NBS Megamall. It was a good beginner set, but since I got my speedball carving set, I never looked back.

      Are you interested to use this for rubber stamping or wood carving? I haven't tried wood carving with these tools, but for carving rubber stamps, they're a pretty good deal. The tip is sharp enough and sturdy enough to be able to create stamps.

      I think the speedball set is a good investment specially if you want to make more detailed stamps coz the smallest carving tip is awesome for making the edges cleaner. I am actually just a beginner myself, and i think the speedball set is great coz the tip is slightly slanted, so handling and grip is easier. The cheaper wood carving tool is straight and more stiff so if you're not a seasoned carver, it can become more straining to the hand. Alessandra Lanot of Lifeafterbreakfast.com uses the woodcarving tools, and she makes awesome stamps everytime, so it's not imperative to use just the Speedball. :)

      Delete