Saturday, October 19, 2013

Ink Drawing: Heart In Chaos

Today has been really productive in the creativity front. The morning was spent frosting cupcakes for a client then drawing and inking all afternoon plus working on a design project with a photography studio's website. I finally re-made this doodle, digitalized it and properly edited it in Photoshop. I've been neglecting ink as a medium for my drawings, so I just thought I'd take a break from the watercolors and go back to basics. Oh if only all my Saturdays are as productive and as awesome as today!

Heart In Chaos
Ink on paper, digital
There's a lot going on in our lives and countless things keep us worried--deadlines and meetings, things to do's and chores, bills and responsibilities, traffic and oil price hikes, floods and earthquakes, zits and weight gain...the list goes on. I personally have a surplus of worries and it's easy to get lost in the chaos (the weight gain problem alone is really disconcerting) but I've learned that it's just a matter of putting things into perspective.

Last Sunday, Jim and I were walking home from a nearby diner when a kid came over and asked us to buy sampaguita from him. We initially dismissed him but he was persistent, so we decided to buy him food instead of giving him money. Right after ordering a burger for him, he asked if we could just have the food to go because he wanted to share it with his siblings. While waiting for the food to arrive, we asked the kid a few questions and got to know him a little. 

His name is Aries. He's 11 years old and the seventh among nine children. He doesn't know how to read, and he never went to school. He's been selling sampaguita since 3PM that day and would only go home at 12 midnight or until all the flowers were sold. His elder brothers are parking boys and his mom stays at home, taking care of his younger siblings. His dad had passed away already. He held coins in his hand because he didn't have any pockets. He had a shy way about him that was endearing, but the whole time that we were talking to him, I just saw sadness in his eyes. I asked how many flowers he's sold. "Isa pa lang ate.", he replied. It was already 10 pm and I ended up buying the whole bunch just so he can go home. The kid just broke my heart.  I'm hoping to chance upon him again and help him in some way, maybe give him books or buy another bunch of sampaguita from him again. 

That encounter with Aries was a wake up call that there are far more people who have bigger problems than I do. That boy is a reminder that we are very fortunate and that we should remain thankful for all our blessings instead of focusing on what's missing in our lives. Life isn't and will never be perfect but as long as our hearts are in the right place, I think we'll do just fine. 

3 comments:

  1. It's very lovely.

    http://thevulgariangirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trulala, kapatid. It's all about perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete