Thursday, October 31, 2013

Psychedelic Sightings: SM North Skywalk Murals

It's the last day of October! 2 months to go and it's 2000-fureakin-14 already!

On my way to work this morning, I was contemplating on the little triumphs and failures of the past year. I think the little victories outweigh the setbacks, so I'm really really thankful. There are a lot of things that I still need to work on, but the pursuit for growth is still pretty much on track. Travel, work, cupcake business and creativity take the biggest portion of the achievement pie this year, while running and the band's album/EP has taken a back seat. Ah, so much to do and so much to learn still! I can't wait to reach new milestones this coming year.

Anyway, before you guys go out and proceed with your trick or treating, let me share a bunch of photos from an impromptu trip earlier this week to the North--as in SM North. Haha. I was walking along the skywalk when I chanced upon this awesome set of murals.

I was trying to figure out who the artist is, because I've seen the same style in one of the walls in Bonifacio High Street. Sadly, my world class stalking and google searching skills didn't serve me well this time, so I'll leave it up to you to check it out for yourself and admire the work.








Such whimsy! I love the playful take on colors and the fact that there are hard and soft elements in these murals-- the black outlines give the image precision and the geometric shapes as well as the horizontal lines contrast the parts that kind of float out like the flowers, clouds, ornamental swirls in the background. I'm imagining the process and the tools that the artist used--spray paint, stencils, actual paint brushes and sticky tape to mask some white areas..it's just so intriguing. I'm not a big fan of SM, but I applaud them for commissioning the artist for these murals. It's definitely an improvement from the white boring walls along the skywalk.

Looking at this kind of art inspires me to get better. This chance encounter with amazing talent gives a happiness effect (as in I seriously feel happier and better when I see this kind of art), and I'm hoping to achieve that kind of reaction when other people see my work someday. :)

Now stop me before I hug these walls again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment