Saturday, November 02, 2013

Watercolor Weekend: Wrapping Paper Doodle

November Day 1 and I'm off to a good start with my creative sparks. My family and I drove to Batangas last night, and I made a couple of drawings while I was there. Our home in Batangas is such a nice place to get creative. I disconnect myself for a while because there's no internet and the television only has limited channels. I didn't mind, because I was really looking forward to getting some sketching and painting done. More on those in my next post!

I did this drawing a while back, but I haven't had a chance to post it in full color. I used my Prang watercolor set and limited my self in using just a handful of pigments, unlike my usual psychedelic take on colors for my paintings. This drawing actually started out as a doodle, and I can't remember where exactly I got this paper, but it was really a wrapping paper that came with an appliance of some sort. You can really tell up close that it's not for watercoloring, let alone for drawing because it's so thin! But I didn't want it to be put to waste, so I thought, might as well draw on it. Reduce, reuse, recycle, yo!


My 8 year old niece Sofia was watching me at work earlier and we bonded over art and painting topics. She told me she's the vice president of her visual arts club in school, which made me so proud! She's really creative, so I encouraged her to continue practicing and keep on drawing even if sometimes she doesn't know what she's going to draw. I told her that this piece started out as a mindless doodle and that she doesn't have to over analyze things to come up with an interesting drawing. I gave this piece to her today and hopefully she becomes motivated and inspired to pursue art and remain creative. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment