Thursday, November 07, 2013

Artist Life Peg: Joni Mitchell

I mentioned Joni Mitchell in my last entry when I used her lyrics for my most recent drawing. Jim and I were talking about her the other day and I shared to him something that I read before about Joni considering herself primarily a painter, and being a musician was secondary and was just brought about by circumstance. Jim was curious and asked what sort of art she made, all I could remember was her self portraits for her albums. She actually studied art in Alberta College of Art and Design in Calgary before she became the highly acclaimed folk singer songwriter that she is today. 


While Joni (oo first name basis kami) is more known for her heartfelt lyrics and musical genius, her art deserves equal recognition. I'd like to share this video from a recent CBC interview about her artistic process and her attitude towards creating art and music. She has mastered both languages, but explains that the process for each is quite different--music requires more logic and analysis to her, while painting, as she puts it, is meditative. She candidly speaks about her hatred for fame and attention, but at the same time is grateful for the tributes given in her honor because of the incredible work and influence that she has contributed to the music industry. She is very frank about topics being discussed in the interview and this has led to much controversy.  At age 70, perhaps this is the least of her concerns, and mentions that she is used to being misunderstood. Personally, I really don't give a rat's ass on what people think of her because she is one of the most talented people out there. Having achieved so much in her life, she still shows signs of unwavering passion towards art and creating and it manifests in the way she talks about her art and her music. 

Watch her interview here:



Check out her other works at her Official Website

0 comments:

Post a Comment