Friday, February 28, 2014

Psychedelic Adventures: An Hour At The BenCab Museum

Jim and I went to Baguio at the beginning of February, wanting to level up from the sweater weather we've been enjoying here in Manila. His high school friends started planning a quick weekend roadtrip to the North and of course traveling to anywhere for the weekend is always my cup of tea.

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with this highly urbanized city. While it is famous for pine trees, strawberries and cool weather, no one can deny that he traffic is horrible, the roads are confusing and the streets are crowded in Baguio. But despite the chaos, as it is the same with my Manila, there's still a lot to love about this city.

For one thing, there's art.

Lots of amazing art.



Since it first opened its doors in February 27, 2009, it's only  my second time to visit The BenCab Museum. The last time I went, I was with my cousin Mayel back in September 2009 and we had the whole day to look at all of the wonderful works displayed. From the permanent installations, to the contemporary galleries and even through the collection of Bulol (Ifugao rice god) Sculptures and indigenous artifacts, I took my time and basked in the awesomeness of it all, even managing to do some museum sketches of the National Artist's original works.

That was back then, but this time around, we arrived at the Museum pretty late, around 5 pm. Its doors would be closed by 6:00 PM so I didn't have the luxury to really look at the paintings one by one and examine the works very closely, but I was determined to make the most out of my visit. 

Museum reception and Benedicto Cabrera's "Anito/Ninuno" painting.

The museum has 4 levels which houses the artworks and contemporary collection of National Artist Ben Cabrera. With the limited amount of time we had, I only had a chance to browse through the galleries, and managed to take photos of the works that caught my eye.

Homage To Sabel 9, the iconic muse of Ben Cabrera

 Of course, I had to grab a quick picture of Sabel, the recurring subject in the artist's paintings. She is depicted in many different ways, and it intrigues me up to this day why he had such a fascination for this female character. I did a bit of research, and the real life Sabel was really Ben Cabrera's memory of a woman draped in plastic back in the 1960's. He was inspired by this woman's way of draping the plastic around her body to protect herself from nature. I found it quite poetic--a beggar becoming The Great Artist's muse, immortalized in his paintings and imagining an unlikely love affair with a memory. 
BencCab's Woman with Fan




Apart from the National Artist's work, there were some notable works from other Filipino contemporary artists. This shows Ben Cab's willingness to share his influence and resources to younger artists instead of showcasing only his own work in the gallery.

Joel Welbart Bartolome's "Spin Doctors", Oil on canvas 2008

Romeo Mananquil's "Morning Bath", Oil on Canvas 2008

Lynyrd Paras' "Huwag Mong Damdamin Ang Mga Bagay Dahil Ang Bagay Walang Damdamin", Oil on canvas 2011

Jordan Mang-Osan's "Tradition & Religion", Acrylic and solar drawing on plywood, 2004


Froilan Calayag's "After Heironymus Bosch", Oil on canvas, 2004

Emmanuel Garibay's "Nakidueto (Kay San Miguel), Oil on canvas 1994

Joey Simsim's "The Harvest 17", Oil on canvas, 2010

Photo op with the Bul-ol Collection
On our way down to Cafe Sabel, the Restaurant and Cafe located at the basement level of the museum

I didn't get to taste their food, but Our Awesome Planet gave a great review of the dishes. The prices have increased since 2012 though. 

Colorful benches at the Cafe


Another thing that I loved about The BenCab Museum is this beautiful garden and duck pond at the back of the main building. All floors have a veranda where visitors can enjoy the open space and the awesome view. I was amazed at the vastness of the whole property! I read somewhere that BenCab actually bought the forest area in front of the gazebo to preserve its current state. I think it's pretty rad. At least now we can be sure that the mountain overlooking the museum will remain that way as long as Ben Cabrera is there to protect it.


Almost sunset view of the artist's studio. The museum building was designed by Architect Raymund Sarmiento. Loved his use of space and natural light.



Jim and I with our requisite selfies on the second floor of the museum. Perfect lighting!




This stenciled graffiti wall was not there when I visited in 2009. You all know how I am smitten by murals and street art, so Jim and I just HAD to pose in front of it! 

To pay tribute to the genius of Ben Cabrera, here's a museum sketch that I did back in 2009




BenCab Museum Directory
Km. 6 Asin Road, Tadiangan,
Tuba, Benguet, Philippines
Telephone: +63 74 442-7165
Get updates on their up and coming exhibits through their Facebook Page

Admission fee
General: PHP 100.00
Students and senior citizens with valid ID: PHP 80.00

Museum hours:
Open daily except Mondays, Christmas Day & New Year’s Day
from 9:00am to 6:00pm


0 comments:

Post a Comment