Friday, October 04, 2013

Style File: Tomboy Chic

Many people who know me can attest that I'm not a girly girl. I grew up enjoying the outdoors, playing habulan (tag) or taguan (hide and seek) with other kids, riding my bike or even shooting some hoops. In college, I used to wear trainers and sneakers a lot and have only come to terms with heels when I started working in the office, with my first job being strict on business casual dress code.

I think the general style of most Filipinas is low maintenance and practical because of the weather that we have in the Philippines. We don't have the privilege of being able to do a lot of layering, so the most sensible thing to wear is a top and a pair of trousers. Personally, I'd still take comfort over fashion anytime. On most days, I commute around the metro, so it's really imperative for me to stay comfortable, else I risk killing my legs and holding a funeral for my toes.

My footwear essentials: a pair of black flats, sandals and my favorite canvas sneakers which I wear with almost anything.

My uniform usually includes a pair of jeans, a button down or a t-shirt and my converse chuck taylors. Sometimes, I'd wear a neck tie, vest or a beanie just to make things a bit interesting. Even if I work in a corporate environment, I always take advantage of being able to slip into more comfortable clothes on casual days. Of course, I still have a mood for dresses on special occasions, but my body isn't dress-friendly because of my muscular legs, so I prefer donning trousers. I've been looking for style inspiration and here are my picks for channeling tomboy chic.

Grey tee and white chucks

Stripes and vest 

White blazer and graphic tee





Easy button downs and black jeans


I'm always thrilled to see such simple yet put together outfits that don't come in designer brands or scream Fashion Week. There's a certain air of effortlessness to men's wear that I really love and I particularly love this last photo because of the all black ensemble and the high cut Chucks. Now if I had that awesome out of bed hair and cool nonchalance, I'm golden. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment