Monday, March 03, 2014

Charcoal Drawing: 14 Years of Loyalty

I've been restless the whole day, so in my attempts at reclaiming what's left of my sanity and my deteriorating attention span, I went out for a while to draw. Workload is easy these days, it's bordering on boring despite the steady trickle of enhancement requests from our clients. To take a break from staring at Functional Design documents and emails, I headed out for coffee and did a sketch of my dog Whitney, as a tribute to the 14 long years she has been with my family. 


We got her when I was in 4th year high school, circa 2000 (And yeah, I just kinda gave away my frickin age, but I don't care). She was adorable and playful and sweet as a puppy and as she grew up to be the big black labrador that she was meant to become, she never lost that gentle playfulness. She passed away on March 1, and I could tell prior that she was in pain. I was already researching on the possibility of euthanasia, because she has not been responding well to the food that we were giving her, and she could hardly get up. I regret not seeing it sooner and spending more time with her, really.

A few hours before her death, I stayed by her side and talked to her. I was trying to comfort her and I said my thanks for being the loyal dog that she's always been. I said sorry, too, because I couldn't bring back those times that I missed spending time and playing with her. She looked at me gently, with blinking black eyes and whimpered, adjusting her head so I could pat it. That night, I went out for an hour to get a massage with my mom. She had this voucher that was going to expire on the same day and we didn't want to forfeit the free shiatsu. I went with her and as the masseuse was trying to ease my tense muscles, I prayed to God that Whitney would be eased from her suffering as well. 

We arrived home and Whitney was gone. My mom said with a sigh, "Inintay ka lang niya magpaalam."
Then I burst in tears.




You were such a sweet dog, Whitney. Thank you for everything. I'd give anything to give you another hug and stroke your fur again. Have fun in dog heaven, sweetie. We will miss you. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment